All About Masks
Making a Mask
There are many ways to make a cloth mask. Health Canada has sew and no-sew options. Here are a few suggestions if you’re wanting to make your own:
• Choose fabric that can withstand frequent cycles through washing and drying.
• Use multiple layers of tightly-woven fabric. Four layers is optimal.
• Use a combination of fabrics, such as a high thread-count cotton (e.g. 600-thread count pillowcases and cotton sheets) with spun bond polyproplylene or polyester.
• Use different fabrics or colours for each side of the mask. This helps you to know which side faces your mouth and which side faces out.
Buying a Mask
If you are buying a cloth mask, make sure it:
• has multiple layers of fabric
• fits securely against your face
• allows for clear breathing
• can be laundered.
Alberta Health Services has released this information.
Find out more about when and how to wear a cloth mask at www.alberta.ca/masks.
Dr. Deena Hinshaw Demonstrates
How to Select a Mask
How to Put Wear a Mask