Nominating or Becoming a Candidate
- will be accepted from Jan 1, 2021, to noon Sept 20, 2021
- with the Returning Officer at the Town Office 302 2nd Ave West
To be eligible to be nominated, all potential candidates must be:
- eligible to vote (18 years of age and a Canadian Citizen) and
- reside in Hanna Alberta for 6 consecutive months before to nomination day and
- reside in Hanna on election day.
Note: According to Section 32 of the Local Authorities Election Act, a candidate may withdraw their nomination by filing a written notice with the Returning Officer prior to noon Sept 21, 2021. If the number of candidates does not exceed the number of vacancies to be filled, the returning officerf cannot accept a withdrawal.
Nomination papers for candidates for the 2021 Municipal Election will be available for review at the Town Office. The names and candidate information MAY be posted below.
Candidates for Mayor
Candidates for Council
0/8 polling stations reporting for Mayor
0/8 polling stations reporting for Councillors.
Chief Elected Official (Mayor) Candidates: 1 seat
# of Votes
% of Votes
Council Candidates (6 seats)
# of Votes
% of Votes
How to Vote
Mon Oct 18, 2021 from 10:00 am to 8:00 pm
Hanna Community Centre 503 5th Ave West
Date TBD from Noon to 6:30 pm
Town Council Chambers 302 2nd Ave West
What are we voting for?
If you are a resident of the Town of Hanna, you are voting for the Mayor and 6 Councillors. These people are the governing body of the municipality for the next four years.
When will we know who is running for office in Hanna?
Nominations close at noon on Sept 20, 2021. The Returning Officer cannot accept nomination papers after 12:00 noon on Sept 20.
What if the same number of people run for the number of positions available?
At the close of nominations, the Returning Officer will declare the nominated persons to be elected and an election for that office will not be held.
Who can vote in the Advance Vote?
An advance vote is available prior to the election day to provide an opportunity for eligible voters who wish to vote prior to election day.
Who can vote?
- You are 18 years of age or older;
- You are a Canadian citizen;
- You have resided in Alberta for 6 consecutive months prior to election day.
- Your residence is Hanna on election day. A person may have only one place of residence and it is the place where the person lives and sleeps and to which, when the person is absent, the person intends to return.
Do I need identification to vote?
Every elector who attends the voting station will be permitted to vote if they make a statement that they are eligible to vote in the presence of an officer in the prescribed form. They must produce the following identification:
- photo ID stating your name and current address that is issued by the government (federal, provincial or local). An example is a driver’s license or provincial id card.
- The list of acceptable pieces of ID can be found on the Government of Alberta website Voter Identification Requirements.