Town Office

Our Community



Appeal Process

Appealing Your Assessment

If you feel your assessment is incorrect you may review it with the staff at the Town Office. Often, they’ll refer you to the assessor for the Town of Hanna. You have the right to lodge a formal complaint against your assessment with the Joint Assessment Review Board. This is a three to five member board, responsible for hearing and ruling on assessment complaints. The Joint Assessment Review Board ensures that the complainant (the taxpayer) and the assessor receive a fair and impartial hearing. The board hears complaints based on claims of errors or omissions, unfair assessments compared with similar properties, or incorrect classifications for tax rate purposes. Before filing a complaint, please discuss your concerns with the assessor.

You may only appeal the assessment, not the tax levy. The only parties authorized to change assessments are the Town of Hanna assessor and the Joint Assessment Review Board.  Town of Hanna staff or members of Town Council do not have the authority to change assessments.

A written complaint must be delivered to the  Joint Assessment Review Board clerk at the Town Office by the date shown on the property assessment notice. The appeal processing fee for each parcel or account must accompany the written complaint.

If you plan to appeal, it would be best to pay the taxes by the due date to avoid penalty. If a decision is made in your favor, your assessment will be adjusted and any overpayment of taxes will be refunded.

Download the Assessment Review Board Complaint Form from Alberta Municipal Affairs.

Category of Complaint          Fee
Residential: 3 or fewer dwellings and farm land $50
Residential: 4 or more dwellings $650
 Non-residential $650
Linear Property: Power Generation $650 ea
Linear Property: Other $50 ea
Equalized Assessment $650

as per bylaw #954-2012