The Community Volunteer Income Tax Program is a free service where trained volunteers file tax returns for eligible people. The town of Hanna has once again been approved by the Government of Canada to provide this service.
This program has been a huge success due to local volunteers who are supported by the Town of Hanna staff.
In order to be eligible for the Community Volunteer Income Tax Program (CVITP), individuals must have a modest income and a simple tax situation.
Who Can Qualify?
- adults 65 or older
- housing-insecure individuals
- Indigenous Peoples
- modest-income individuals
- persons with disabilities
What is a Simple Tax Situation?
- An individual has no income or if their come comes from:
- benefits such as CPP, OAS, disability insurance, employment insurance and social assistance
- support payments
- scholarships, fellowships, bursaries or grants
- interest under $1,000
What is a Modest Income?
|Family size||Total family income|
|More than 5 people||$52,500 plus $2,500 for each additional person|
How to Get More Information
Remember, volunteers complete tax returns they feel comfortable preparing based on the information given to them by the taxpayer. If you feel you qualify, you can complete the confidential information form that is at the Town Office. The document is sealed and provided to the volunteer.