Town Office

Our Community



Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content


Does My Pet Need a License?

We understand that from time to time pets do inadvertently get out of their owner’s yards. This can be dangerous for both the pet and innocent bystanders. License-tag identification allows for the quick and safe return of the animal – often without associated fines.

Our bylaws require that all domestic animals in Hanna be licensed with the Town.

Dogs three months or older must be licensed annually with the Town of Hanna. Pet owners are not permitted to house more than two dogs over the age of three months unless they possess a Town of Hanna Dog Fanciers License.

Your dog license could play a critical role in identifying your pet should it become lost. These tags aid the authorities in quickly identifying an animal for return to its own owner when it is found wandering the streets of our community by either Animal Control or concerned citizens.

Dog owners shall provide the Town with the following information with each application for a dog or cat license:

  • Name, street address, and telephone number of owner,
  • Name and description of the dog or cat to be licensed,
  • Proof of current rabies and other immunizations,
  • Proof of spaying or neutering if applicable, and 
  • Other information as may be required with respect to the application.

In exchange, you will receive an identification tag that must always be displayed on the animal’s collar (this includes animals that have a microchip identification implant). This tag cannot be transferred to another animal.

You can purchase or renew a pet license from reception at the Town Office.

License Fees

Animal licenses are valid from January 1 – December 31 annually. If you welcome a new pet into your home partway through the calendar year, you may be able to purchase a license at a reduced fee. You are expected to apply for the license within 21 days of getting a new dog or cat.

You are encouraged to have your dog spayed or neutered. In doing so, you can help reduce unwanted over-population, and you can take advantage of lower license fees for spayed and neutered dogs.

Type of Fee
Male or Female
Fee Amount
Type of Fee
Sterilized Male or Femals
Fee Amount
Type of Fee
Vicious Dog License Fee
Fee Amount
Type of Fee
Replacement Dog Tag
Fee Amount
Type of Fee
Dog Fanciers License
Fee Amount

Rules For Pets and Owners

The Town of Hanna has a dog bylaw (Bylaw #808), which outlines rules for pets and their owners. These rules were developed to ensure the safety and comfort of all our residents.

Following the Rules

The Animal Control Bylaw contains all the rules and regulations.

Animal Control Bylaw

#808-1993.  Provides for the control of animals pursuant to the provisions of the Municipal Government Act.  Contains licensing, fees, enforcement, penalties, fanciers and more.

The following list is a summary of the highlights:

  • Dogs over the age of three months must be licensed.
  • Every dog must wear a collar, and the dog license tag must be attached to the collar when the dog is off the owner’s property.
  • Owners must not allow their dogs to run at large (off leash).
  • Owners must clean up after their dogs; that is, is a dog defecated on any public or private property (other than the owner’s property), the owner is responsible for immediately cleaning up after the dog.
  • Owners must not allow their dogs to bark or howl excessively such that it disturbs other people at any time, night or day.
  • Owners must ensure their dogs do not damage public or private property.
  • Dogs are not allowed on any school grounds, playground, or parkland area, except when the dog is participating in a recognized training or obedience school, or assisting a handicapped person.

Breaking the Rules

If you fail to obey the rules outlined in the dog bylaw, you could be subject to fines ranging up to $1000.00.

If you have any questions about pet ownership in Hanna, please click here to contact the By-Law Enforcement, Licensing Department.

Dogs wandering are captured and impounded. The Animal Control Officer will make every attempt to find the owner. If the owner is found or contacts the Town Office to claim the animal, associated pound fees and possible fines will have to be paid in order to have the animal released, if negligence on behalf of the owner is found to be the cause of the dog running at large and being unlicensed.

Stray Dogs are also captured and impounded. If no one claims the animal, the Animal Control Officer will make an attempt to find the owner. If no owner is found within a reasonable time frame the Town has several options available to deal with the animal (see Animal Control Bylaw # 808), including finding a new home for the dog or even having it put down if it is determined that the dog is unsuitable for placement with a new owner. The Town works closely with the local Hanna SPCA to find homes for stray animals.

Dog Licenses come up for renewal on January 1st of each year. Notices of renewal are sent to each registered license holder at the beginning of the year as a friendly reminder, however the onus to purchase a license remains with all dog owners with in the Town limits.

Barking Issues

Enlightened Dog owners and their neighbors know that Dogs bark! Its instinctive for dogs to warn their owners of possible threats to them or their property.

The Animal Control Bylaw #808 below states in part that dog owners shall not allow their dog(s) to:

“Bark or howl in a manner so as to disturb any person day or night”

It is generally accepted that in order for barking to be in violation of the bylaw it must disturb the neighborhood and be frequent and persistent. The Town is aware that dogs naturally and rightfully bark to warn someone when they approach their owner’s property. This does not necessarily constitute habitual barking.

Animal Control Bylaw

#808-1993.  Provides for the control of animals pursuant to the provisions of the Municipal Government Act.  Contains licensing, fees, enforcement, penalties, fanciers and more.


What to do if a Barking Problem Persists:

If you and your neighbors are plagued with a barking dog problem the first step should be to tactfully approach the dog owner and make them aware of your concern. Many dog owners do not realize that their pet may be causing you an unreasonable discomfort when they are way or when they put the dog out for prolonged periods. Many people in our community work shift work so even disturbances during the day can be quite annoying.

If satisfaction is not achieved by your friendly visit or you choose not to talk directly with your neighbor then it is recommended that you contact the Animal Control Officer and leave a detailed message containing the following information:

• Name, address and phone number
• Address of the barking dog(s)
• Supply a recent barking history
• A description of the dog(s)
• Name of the owner if known

The Animal Control Officer may contact the dog owner either in person, by phone or by written letter to make them aware that a complaint has been made. Complaints are kept confidential. The Officer may ask the complainant to fill out a complaint form for the record. The Officer will take the opportunity to make sure the dog is the correct animal in question and if it is currently licensed. He will also take this opportunity to educate and inform the owner of the situation and offer possible solutions to help rectify the problem.

If this still does not result in compliance then the Officer will direct the complainant to fill in a Dog Barking Log and perhaps find others in the neighborhood willing to do the same. A stern written warning is usually given to the owner at this time and they are advised that barking logs are being kept.

If compliance is not forthcoming the Animal Control Officer will issue a fine. You and your neighbors as complainants may be called upon as witnesses and the barking logs may be entered as evidence in a court of law if the dog owner wishes to dispute the ticket.


Barking Log

A Barking Log is initiated only after the Animal Control Officer has issued a proper warning and the problem is ongoing with little or no effort being made on behalf of the dog owner to curtail the barking.

The Barking Log is considered admissible evidence and must kept accurately and completed with total honesty and without any embellishment by the complainant filling it out. Please follow the directions carefully.

The Animal Control Officer must give permission and directions to the complainant(s) before logs can be filled out. Logs filled out prior to this permission will not be accepted.

Be sure to document all activity thoroughly. Skimpy documentation will not convince anybody of a chronic barking problem, especially a judge.

Barking Dog Register

Download and complete this log before presenting it to Bylaw Enforcement.